What is Magnesium Nitride
What is Magnesium Nitride?
Magnesium nitride, is an inorganic molecule with the chemical formula Mg3N2. It is a part of the cubic crystal structure. At the temperature of room, pure magnesium nutridide is yellow-green and magnesium nitride which contains part of impurities of magnesium oxide is grayish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium nitride is 100.95g/mol. Its density 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium nitride dissolves completely in water and acid but is only partially dissolved in the ether and ethanol.
The melting point of magnesium nitride lies at 1500 degrees. Magnesium Nitride, as with many metal nitrides reacts with water and produces ammonia. Sometimes, it is used as catalyst. React with acid or nonmetallic oxides in order to produce ammonium salts and magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a ceramic substance in nature. Magnesium is abrasion-resistant material that has excellent resistance and dramatically improves productivity. Magnesium Nitride also has high thermal conductivity, as well being highly resistant to corrosion as well as temperature resistance. Magnesium nitride also has a great importance due to its usage as a catalyst for synthesizing of boron.
What is Magnesium Nitride Used For?
1. Used as a catalyst when make the nitride out of other elements that have high hardness as well as high thermal conductivity, wear resistance, corrosion resistance and extremely high resistance to temperature. The first successful synthesis of cubic boron nitride, the catalyst was magnesium Nitride.
2. This is a high strength steel Smelting additives. Magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) replaces desulphurized magnesium used in construction steel the smelting process, and helps to improve the density, strength of the steel, as well as the tension and bearing force of steel. In addition, the application of magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurization, can lower the amount of other additives, helping to lower the cost of production for construction steel;
3. Useful for preparing special ceramic materials;
4. For the production of a special alloy foaming agent
5. In the manufacture of special glass
6. For crosslinking catalytically produced polymers
7. To reuse radioactive waste
How do I Make Magnesium Nitride?
Presently, the major preparation methods of magnesium nitride consist of direct reaction method of magnesium powder with nitrogen, the method for resolving magnesium and nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow methods for magnesium coils in nitrogen atmosphere Low pressure chemical gas in conjunction with the product method, self-propagating high temperature synthesis process, nano magnesium nitride method of synthesis as well as other methods.
Recently, G. Soto et al. made amorphous magnesium oxide films that have different Mg:N ratios Si substrates within a molecular-nitrogen environment through Laser pulse deposition. These methods restrict their production in the industrial sector due to the high price, lengthy process complicated equipment operation or the low yield of magnesium Nitride.
While the direct reaction of magnesium powder with nitrogen holds industrial value, the production of magnesium nitride-based powder requires more heat and a longer reaction time. Additionally, the shape of the particles are not ideal and easy to form agglomerates, which can not meet the specifications of industrial quality. The NH3 is decomposed into Nthat has broken bonds more easily than N2, and the decomposed H2 could hinder the formation of MgO. So, ammonia could be used as the nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. utilized liquid ammonia for nitrogen source to prepare magnesium nitride material by direct nitriding of magnesium powder. The following conclusions could be drawn: Using thermodynamic analysis, liquid amonia could react with magnesium powder quicker than nitrogen, resulting in magnesium nitride. Premium magnesium nitride in an extremely high purity and uniform particles can easily be prepared at 600 and ammonia at 1 hour, and then heated to 800°C, with an ammonia flow rate of 500ml/min as well as one hour of nitriding.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 Disperser
We are a respected global chemical material supplier and manufacturer with more than 12 years of experience in providing super high-quality chemicals and nanomaterials. Examples include silicon, nitride powder, Zinc sulfide, graphite, calcium nitride, 3D printing powder, and many more.
If you're searching for top-quality Mg3N2 powder, please feel free to get in touch with us and make an inquiry. (email@example.com)